How do you access Visual Foxpro DBF files from SQL2005/8 x64?

Jim Mitten

Dec 7, 2009, 9:07:01 AM12/7/09
This works in 32-bit...
Select * from openrowset('VFPOLEDB','C:\MyDBFFolder';;,'Select * FROM
MYDBFFile')

VFPOLEDB is a 32 bit provider and is not recognized after installation as a
64-bit provider.

This thread was somewhat related, but no solution was offered. "Installing
foxpro oledb on SQL 2005 64 bit"

Gert E.R. Drapers

Dec 7, 2009, 11:19:09 AM12/7/09
As far as I know there is no x64 version of the VFPOLEDB provider.
Since Visual FoxPro was always and only x32 bit and it is no longer update,
I think the changes are slim it will ever get there.
Ge...@SQLDev.Net

"Jim Mitten" <JimM...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jim Mitten

Dec 7, 2009, 2:40:01 PM12/7/09
Do I have to writte a 32-bit external process and register it with
sp_addextendedproc?

Does the 64bit ODBC driver access FoxPro? My earlier attempts using ODBC in
32-bit were not encouraging. It would sometimes work, but one large, complex
file kept locking up the system.

There must be a better way... Why isn't there a 64-bit shell on SQL that
allows you to use 32 bit ole with knowledge that there may be a slight
performance hit?.

Jim

"Gert E.R. Drapers" wrote:

> .

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 7, 2009, 5:00:57 PM12/7/09
Jim Mitten (JimM...@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> Does the 64bit ODBC driver access FoxPro? My earlier attempts using ODBC
> in 32-bit were not encouraging. It would sometimes work, but one large,
> complex file kept locking up the system.

If there is a 64-bit ODBC driver for FoxPro, you could use 64-bit MSDASQL.

One option would be to write a wrapper in the CLR that uses OleDb Client.

Another is to install a 32-bit instance of SQL Server, and double
hop through it. Yes, that is really, really ugly.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se

Links for SQL Server Books Online: